What is the Torch Award?
The BBB Torch Award program began in 1998 and is held in partnership with Abilene Christian University, Hardin-Simmons University and McMurry University.
What it takes...
The BBB Torch Award is open to all for-profit businesses located within our 13-county service area. Companies must have been in business for at least one year locally and have satisfactory reports with the BBB. It is not required that the company is a BBB accredited business. Nominations for the award take place in the spring followed by a rigorous application and selection process. There are four criteria by which entries are judged:
- Employees – High ethical standards of behavior toward employees. This includes management practices and policies, as well as training programs that assist employees in carrying out established ethics policies.
- Customers – Demonstrated ethical practices regarding customers, vendors, partners and/or other stakeholders. This includes management practices and policies that give long-term value to these relationships.
- Communications – Supporting material that accurately reflects the company’s commitment to truth in advertising and a true representation of what is being offered in the marketplace.
- Community – Recognition from news media coverage and/or your industry peers for your efforts and civic spirit (from sources outside of your organization). All of which are proof of a long-standing history and reputation of ethical practices in the marketplace.
The Selection Process
The candidates are then evaluated in three stages:
- All applications are reviewed by members of the BBB staff. The first stage is a review of each candidate’s standing record with the BBB, their qualifications, and confirmation of all needed nomination materials.
- All applications are then reviewed by the Torch Award Selection Committee. All candidates for the award are judged equally, regardless of company size and industry. Not all areas require responses in order for a company to compete.
- The Selection Committee may conduct a site inspections of the finalists to determine the winner of the BBB Torch Award. The Selection Committee may interview executives/owners, as well as key employees, and tour each location.
If your company or a company you know fits the critieria, nominate them today! Fill out and submit our Nomination form, and consider the nomination complete. Nominated companies must submit a formal application to be considered by the selection committee. The BBB will contact all nominated companies with further information on how to apply for the award.
Back to the main Torch Award Page